Saturday, March 10, 2012

Feeding schedule does good to the body

890 grams and counting. James is getting bigger :)

We went to visit James for a couple hours. He was resting comfortably for a while. I read a book to him, an Indonesian bible story. The kid has to hear some Indonesian words, right? :)

I was able to take James' temperature and changed his poopy diaper today. He definitely doesn't like to get his diaper changed. His arms were flailing and he was kicking very much. He kind of gave me a dirty look while I was changing him. Oh how I wanted to take him out of the incubator and hold him in my arms!

Around 12:15 PM his O2 saturation went down to the 80s then at the 70s. The nurse suctioned the tube and repositioned James. Usually that takes care of the problem, but it didn't. The alarm kept beeping, and nothing changed. I asked the nurse if she planned to call the respiratory therapist. Well, she waited for what I felt like a lifetime, and there was my dad asking me why nothing was done to bring up the O2 saturation level. Madness I tell you, madness!

Finally, a respiratory therapist came and suctioned James' ET tube, assessed his lungs sound (which is OK), and checked if the tube was placed correctly (which it is). She left the room saying she's not sure why James' O2 saturation is low.
The nurse then increased the O2 level of the jet ventilator to provide a little more support for James. For an hour his O2 sat went up as high as 100 and as low as 78. Watching his number went up and down in a matter of seconds was really exhausting. After 1 hour he seemed to be doing better with his O2 saturation. I haven't called again to check on James. I am crossing my fingers that he behaves for the rest of the night.

Even Phoebe Buffay thought it was madness.


Thank your for the prayers and support :)

No comments:

Post a Comment